Early Career Award (prev. J. David Irwin Early Career Award)
Established: in 2006
Description: To recognize a young researcher who has made significant contributions to the advancement of the field of industrial electronics.
Administration: Administered by The Industrial Electronics Society Awards and Honor Committee (IES A&H Committee).
Eligibility: Must be a member of IES who, on the date of nomination, is within his/her first 10 years of professional experience from the date of his/her last academic degree.
Prize: $1,000 and Award Certificate and travel expense reimbursement for attending the award ceremony (travel reimbursement limited to $2,000).
Funding: Funded by IEEE Industrial Electronics Society.
Nominee Solicitation: The IES A&H Committee calls for nominations through the society's printed and electronic newsletter.
Basis for Judging: The award is selected based on the technical importance of the contribution, subject matter, originality, and prospects for future success. Awarded only when suitable candidates are identified. Not necessarily awarded yearly.
Presentation: At the Society's annual conference.
To nominate someone, please use the following documents
- 2006 - Recipient: Dr. J. Marcos Alonso
- 2007 - None
- 2008 - Recipient: Dr. Lucia Lo Bello, Citation: For outstanding performance in teaching, research and public service.
- 2009 - Recipient: Dr. Marco Liserre, Citation: For outstanding research contributions in industrial power converter control systems, and leadership in engineering education.
- 2010 - Recipient: Dr. Jin-Shyan Lee
- 2011 - Recipient: Dr. Mariusz Malinowski, Citation: For outstanding research and development of modulation and control for industrial electronics converters.
- 2012 - Recipient: Dr. Milos Manic, Citation: For outstanding research contributions in computational intelligence and its applications in energy related problems, network security and infrastructure protection, and robotics.
- 2013 - Recipient: Dr. Huijun Gao, Citation: For a record of outstanding contributions to the development and enhancement of industrial electronics.
- 2014 - Recipient: Dr. Jose I. Leon, Citation: For excellence on research on multilevel power converter topologies, modulation and control techniques for high-power applications, and renewable energy systems.
- 2015 - Recipient: Dr. Samir Kouro, Citation: For contributions to research and development of multilevel converter technology and their application to renewable energy conversion systems.
- 2016 - None
- 2017 - Dr. Akshay Rathore, Citation: For development of low voltage high current converters and low switching frequency control of medium voltage multilevel inverters in industrial drives.