Student Best Paper Award
Established: in 2005
Description: To recognize the student best paper in the Industrial Electronics Society publications or conferences, and to encourage the student or graduate student author to contribute further to the field of industrial electronics.
Administration: Administered by the Industrial Electronics Society Awards and Honors Committee (IES A&H Committee).
Eligibility: Author(s) of papers in the Industrial Electronics Society publications or major IES conferences during the year specified for the award, where the first author must be a student or a graduate student IEEE member.
Prize: US$2,000 and certificate, plus reimbursement for IES-approved travel expenses to receive the award, up to but not more than US$3,000. In the case of multiple authors, the prize is to be shared among the awardees. Co-authors who are not students shall receive a copy of the certificate but shall not share the prize or travel expense reimbursement.
Funding: Funded by IEEE Industrial Electronics Society.
Basis for Judging: The awarded paper will be selected based on the value of the contribution, subject matter, originality, and composition. Awarded only when suitable candidates are identified. Not necessarily awarded yearly.
Nominee Solicitation: The IES A&H Committee asks for nominations from the following:
1. General chairs: ICIT, INDIN, ISIE, IECON.
2. Editors-in-Chief: Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Transactions on Industrial Informatics, and Industrial Electronics Magazine.
Presentation: At the Society's annual conference.
To nominate someone, please use the following documents.
- 2006 - Hideyuki Kobayashi
- 2007 - Lorinc M. Marton, Citation: For the paper titled "Stable Adaptive Ball and Beam Control," 2006 IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics, 2006, pp. 507-512, doi: 10.1109/ICMECH.2006.252579.
- 2008 - None
- 2009 - None
- 2010 - Jorg Dannehl, Christian Wessels, Friederich W. Fuchs, Citation: For the paper titled "Limitations of Voltage-Oriented PI Current Control of Grid-Connected PWM Rectifiers With $LCL$ Filters," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 380-388, Feb. 2009, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2008.2008774.
2011 - R.K. Gupta, A. Somani, Citation: For the paper titled "Direct-Matrix-Converter-Based Drive for a Three-Phase Open-End-Winding AC Machine With Advanced Features," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 57, no. 12, pp. 4032-4042, Dec. 2010, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2010.2043045.
- 2012 - Yikai Wang, Citation: For the paper "Design of Integrated Dual-Loop $\Delta$ –$\Sigma$ Modulated Switching Power Converter for Adaptive Wireless Powering in Biomedical Implants," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 4241-4249, Sept. 2011, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2010.2098371.
- 2013 - Wencong Su, Habiballah Rahimi-Eichi, Wente Zeng, Citation: For the paper "A Survey on the Electrification of Transportation in a Smart Grid Environment," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1-10, Feb. 2012, doi: 10.1109/TII.2011.2172454.
- 2014 - Yunmei Zheng, Citation: For the paper "An Efficient Data-Driven Particle PHD Filter for Multitarget Tracking," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 2318-2326, Nov. 2013, doi: 10.1109/TII.2012.2228875.
- 2015 - Antonios Antonopoulos, Kalle Ilves, Citation: For the paper "Global Asymptotic Stability of Modular Multilevel Converters," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 603-612, Feb. 2014, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2013.2254100.
- 2016 - (1) Ivan Subotic, Citation: For the paper "Onboard Integrated Battery Charger for EVs Using an Asymmetrical Nine-Phase Machine," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 3285-3295, May 2015, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2014.2345341.
- 2016 - (2) Suman Debnath, Citation: For the paper "Control and Stability Analysis of Modular Multilevel Converter Under Low-Frequency Operation," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 62, no. 9, pp. 5329-5339, Sept. 2015, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2015.2414908.
- 2017 - Y. Liu, W. Wu, Y. He, Z. Lin, F. Blaabjerg and H. S. H. Chung, Citation: For the paper "An Efficient and Robust Hybrid Damper for $LCL$- or $LLCL$-Based Grid-Tied Inverter With Strong Grid-Side Harmonic Voltage Effect Rejection," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 926-936, Feb. 2016, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2015.2478738.
- 2018 - Heng Yang and Maryam Saeedifard, Citation: For the paper "A Capacitor Voltage Balancing Strategy With Minimized AC Circulating Current for the DC–DC Modular Multilevel Converter," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 956-965, Feb. 2017, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2016.2613059.
- 2019 - Margarita Norambuena, Samir Kouro, Sibylle Dieckerhoff, Jose Rodriguez, Citation: For the paper "Reduced Multilevel Converter: A Novel Multilevel Converter With a Reduced Number of Active Switches," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 3636-3645, May 2018, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2017.2762628.
- 2020 - Hector R. Robles-Campos, Fernando Mancilla-David, Citation: For the paper "A comparative evaluation of modulation strategies for Hexverter–based Modular Multilevel Converters," 2019 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), 2019, pp. 1465-1470, doi: 10.1109/ICIT.2019.8755144.
- 2021 - Vincenzo Madonna, Paolo Giangrande, Luca Lusuardi, Andrea Cavallini, Chris Gerada, and Michale Galea, Citation: For the paper "Thermal Overload and Insulation Aging of Short Duty Cycle, Aerospace Motors," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 2618-2629, April 2020, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2019.2914630.
- 2022 - R. Barzegarkhoo, Y. P. Siwakoti, N. Vosoughi and F. Blaabjerg, "Six-Switch Step-Up Common-Grounded Five-Level Inverter With Switched-Capacitor Cell for Transformerless Grid-Tied PV Applications," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 1374-1387, Feb. 2021, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2020.2967674.
- 2023 - K. Feng and C. Liu, "Distributed Hierarchical Control for Fast Frequency Restoration in VSG-Controlled Islanded Microgrids," in IEEE Open Journal of the Industrial Electronics Society, vol. 3, pp. 496-506, 2022, doi: 10.1109/OJIES.2022.3202431.