IEEE J. David Irwin Early Career Award
Established: in 2005
Description: To recognize a young researcher who has made significant contributions to the advancement of the field of industrial electronics.
Administration: Administered by The Industrial Electronics Society Awards and Honor Committee (IES A&H Committee).
Eligibility: Must be a member of IES who, on the date of nomination, is within his/her first 10 years of professional experience from the date of his/her last academic degree.
Prize: US$2,000 and Award Certificate and travel expense reimbursement for attending the award ceremony (travel reimbursement limited to US$3,000).
Funding: Funded by IEEE Industrial Electronics Society.
Basis for Judging: The award is selected based on the technical importance of the contribution, subject matter, originality, and prospects for future success. Awarded only when suitable candidates are identified. Not necessarily awarded yearly.
Nominee Solicitation: The IES A&H Committee calls for nominations through the society's printed and electronic newsletter.
Presentation: At the Society's annual conference.
To nominate someone, please use the following documents.
- 2006 - Recipient: Dr. J. Marcos Alonso
- 2007 - None
- 2008 - Recipient: Dr. Lucia Lo Bello, Citation: For outstanding performance in teaching, research, and public service.
- 2009 - Recipient: Dr. Marco Liserre, Citation: For outstanding research contributions in industrial power converter control systems, and leadership in engineering education.
- 2010 - Recipient: Dr. Jin-Shyan Lee
- 2011 - Recipient: Dr. Mariusz Malinowski, Citation: For outstanding research and development of modulation and control for industrial electronics converters.
- 2012 - Recipient: Dr. Milos Manic, Citation: For outstanding research contributions in computational intelligence and its applications in energy-related problems, network security and infrastructure protection, and robotics.
- 2013 - Recipient: Dr. Huijun Gao, Citation: For a record of outstanding contributions to the development and enhancement of industrial electronics.
- 2014 - Recipient: Dr. Jose I. Leon, Citation: For excellence on research on multilevel power converter topologies, modulation and control techniques for high-power applications, and renewable energy systems.
- 2015 - Recipient: Dr. Samir Kouro, Citation: For contributions to research and development of multilevel converter technology and their application to renewable energy conversion systems.
- 2016 - None
- 2017 - Dr. Akshay Rathore, Citation: For the development of low voltage high current converters and low switching frequency control of medium voltage multilevel inverters in industrial drives.
- 2018 - Maryam Saeedifard, Citation: For outstanding research contributions in modulation and control of multilevel converters and voltage-sourced converter-based dc (HVDC) transmission
- 2019 - Gerhard P. Hancke, Citation: For research and educations contributions and impact on secure and reliable technology
2020 - Fei Gao, Citation: For outstanding contributions to the improvement of fuel cell hybrid powertrain reliability for transportation applications
- 2021 - Zhen Zhang . Citation: Outstanding contributions to intelligent control for emerging power conversions and drives
- 2022 - Hui Zhang. Citation: For outstanding contributions to advanced control and signal processing techniques with industrial applications in automotive electronics and wearable systems