Student Paper Travel Assistance Program
IES Student and Young Professionals Paper Assistance Program (IES-SYPA)
Since 2018 the IES Student Paper and Travel Assistance (IES-SPTA) will receive a new name: the IES Young Professionals and Student Paper Assistance (IES-SYPA).
The Young Professionals & Student Activity Committee (YPS-AC) of the Industrial Electronics Society (IES) offers financial support to the IEEE IES Student members to attend IES conferences. We have pre-allocated 53 IES Student and Young Professionals Paper Assistances (IES-SYPA) up to US$2000 each for conferences in this year. It should be pointed out that in the case of a large number of applicants having obtained a high score, the committee can reduce the travel assistance amount to US$1000 per applicant. This exceptional measure is in order to support the travel of higher number of excellent applicants. On the other hand, the number of the IES-SYPAs for the IECON or other conferences could be increased to follow the need, within budget capability. In March 2016 at the ICIT, for the first time as many as 6 students were selected for travel assistance . Other IEEE IES conferences where YPS travel assistances are planned to be distributed are: IEEE-IESES, IEEE-ICM, ISIE, INDIN, ETFA, CPE-POWERENG, IEEE-PEMC, IECON.
The conditions to apply for the IES SYPA are:
- please take into account that IEEE IES must follow general rules of IEEE related with OFAC Sanctions Programs to learn more please see: https://www.ieee.org/about/compliance/ofac/sanctions.html. For more details, you may ask The Legal and Compliance Department available to assist with reviewing any questions that you may have with respect to OFAC or other compliance matters and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org,
- be an active IEEE IES Student and/or YPs Member,
- reside outside the city in which the conference is held,
- have a paper accepted at the conference and be the person who will present it,
- the manuscript should be fully registered.
The IEEE IES Manuscript Submission System (MSS) will show the button to apply for the paper travel assistance only if at least one author has student’s and/or young professional’s checkbox checked and only after the final version of the manuscript has been already submitted. A paper cannot be supported more than one travel assistance. A person cannot receive more than one travel assistance each year. YPS interested in the IEEE IES Student and Young Professionals Paper Assistances Program should fill up the application available in the conference MSS and follow all steps indicated in the form. They should clearly indicate their IEEE membership number and their paper reference number. All material should be submitted in PDF format on the form in the MSS. Paper assistance applications submitted by YPS will be evaluated by a committee consisting of: Chair of the Young Professionals & Student Activity Committee, IES President, Conference General Chair, and IES Treasurer. In case the number of applicants exceeds the budget, preference will be given to:
YPS with the best-qualified papers according to the reviews scores,
YPS who have not benefited from this program in the last two years,
When it comes to the ISIE and the IECON, YPS authors from Students & Young Professionals Forum (IES-SF) have priority.
Deadlines, which apply, for assistances under the IES Student and Young Professionals Paper Assistance Program (IES-SYPA) are as manuscript acceptance date plus circa two weeks. Some further notes are also summarized below:
A three-minute speech (3Ms) + film and project hardware demonstration (if applicable) during the conference is mandatory to receive the IES-SYPA. See more details how to prepare three-minute speech + movie about your project on the IEEE IES website (ieee-ies.org).
- YPS who are selected for the IES-SYPA should post their 3 minutes’ films on the associated IEEE Collabratec and IES Facebook event page at the following links:
The Applicants should send the link of their video files to YPS-AC Co-Chair of the three minutes’ speeches (3Ms) + movies, to upload them, to the IEEE IES YouTube Channel on:
So, please prepare the video to be interesting for public viewers.
- The diplomas for the IES Student and Young Professionals Paper Assistances (IES-SYPA) will be given during the conference, usually at the Gala Dinner.
- YPS should also post their photos from conference and/or the ceremony to the related event on the IES Facebook page.
- The documents to be filled and sent to the IEEE IES Treasurer are as per the Expense Reimbursement Procedures listed on the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society - Treasurer Information.