The Industrial Electronics Society through its members encompasses a diverse range of technical activities devoted to the application of electronics and electrical sciences for the enhancement of industrial and manufacturing processes. These technical activities address the latest developments in intelligent and computer control systems, robotics, factory communications, and automation, flexible manufacturing, data acquisition and signal processing, vision systems, and power electronics. The Society continually updates its program of technical activities to meet the needs of modern industry.
Field of Interest
IES Constitution, Article I, Section 4. The Field of Interest of the IES shall be confined to the theory and applications of electronics, controls, communications, instrumentation, and computational intelligence to industrial and manufacturing systems and processes.
IES Constitution, Article I, Section 5. The Field of Interest of the IES may be enlarged, reduced, or shifted moderately as the need of the occasion indicate with the provision that such revisions shall be processed as an amendment to this Constitution and shall be following the procedures defined in the TAB Operations Manual.
Call for Nominations for open Editor Positions
Deadline May 13, 2022
Editor-in-Chief of TII (Transactions on Industrial Informatics)
Three-year term starting January 1, 2023
The IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics is a flagship journal of the IES, bridging the gap between theory and application practice of informatics in industrial environments. For further information, please consult http://www.ieee-ies.org/pubs/transactions-on-industrial-informatics.
- Specific Criteria for Nominees: Demonstrated competence in at least one of the topical areas of TII;
Editor-in-Chief of OJIES (Open Journal of the Industrial Electronics Society)
Three-year term starting January 1, 2023
The IEEE Open Journal of the Industrial Electronics Society is a new, full open access journal with a wide scope that encloses the complete field of interest of the IES. For further information, please consult http://www.ieee-ies.org/pubs/ojies.
- Specific Criteria for Nominees: Demonstrated competence in at least one of the topical areas of OJIES;
Editor-in-Chief of JESTIE (Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Industrial Electronics)
Three-year term starting January 1, 2023
The IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Industrial Electronics is a newly established journal publishing papers on emerging topics and new trends in the field of the IES. For further information, please consult http://www.ieee-ies.org/pubs/jestie.
- Specific Criteria for Nominees: Demonstrated competence in at least one of the topical areas of JESTIE;
Co-Editor-in-Chief of TIE (Transactions on Industrial Electronics)
Three open positions for different areas, three-year term starting January 1, 2023
The IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics is a flagship journal of the IES publishing papers with experimentally verified applications of electronics, controls, instrumentation, and computation for the enhancement of industrial systems and processes. For further information, please consult http://www.ieee-ies.org/pubs/transactions-on-industrial-electronics.
- Specific Criteria for Nominees, Position 1: Demonstrated competence in the area of 'machines and drives', with further experience and ability to handle papers in one or more of the following areas: 'multi-phase systems', 'renewable energy systems', and 'single-phase electronics'.
- Specific Criteria for Nominees, Position 2: Demonstrated competence in the area of 'renewable energy systems', with further experience and ability to handle papers in one or more of the following areas: 'multi-phase systems', 'machines and drives', and 'single-phase electronics'.
- Specific Criteria for Nominees, Position 3: Demonstrated competence in the area of 'instrumentation and sensors', with further experience and ability to handle papers in one or more of the following areas: 'robotics and mechatronics', 'actuators and motors', and 'diagnosis and monitoring'.
General Criteria for Nominees (for all positions):
- Demonstrated very high scientific reputation (very good publication record);
- Demonstrated editorial experience as EiC, co-EiC, Senior Editor, Associate Editor or Guest Editor;\
- Be a member of IES;
- Be an IEEE Fellow;
Other required qualifications include high ethical standards, leadership experience, and management skills.
Requirements for Nominations (for all positions):
- A brief IEEE-style biography (up to 250 words) of the nominee;
- A complete CV and list of publications of the nominee;
- A brief statement from the nominator on the nominee's qualification and how the nominee meets the criteria listed above.
The Society is soliciting nominations for the following 2022 awards
The Industrial Electronics Society is soliciting nominations for the following 2022 awards:
- Dr.-Ing. Eugene Mittelmann Achievement Award
- Anthony J. Hornfeck Service Award
- IEEE J. David Irwin Early Career Award
- IEEE Bimal Bose Award for Industrial Electronics Applications in Energy Systems
- IEEE Rudolf Chope Research & Development Award
The deadline for the submission is April 1, 2022. For more details, please visit http://www.ieee-ies.org/about/awards. Please send a complete application to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a copy to email@example.com.
Message from Chair of the 2021 IES Nominations and Appointments Committee, Prof. Xinghuo Yu
Dear IES Members,
It gives me great pleasure to announce the 2021 election results for IES Administrative Committee (AdCom) vacancies:
President-Elect: Milos Manic (2022-2023)
Vice-President Technical Activities: Valeriy Vyatkin (2022-2023)
Vice-President Conference Activities: Yang Shi (2022-2023)
Vice-President Planning and Development: Stoyan Nihtianov (2022-2023)
Secretary: Lucia Lo Bello (2022-2023)
Emil Levi (2022-2024) (by election)
Mihoko Niitsuma (2022-2024) (by election)
Peter Palensky (2022-2024) (by election)
Yajun Pan (2022-2024) (by election)
Makoto Iwasaki (2022-2024) (by appointment)
Hadi Kanaan (2022-2024) (by appointment)
Jinhua She (2022-2024) (by appointment)
Carmen Aracil (2022-2023) (by appointment)
Yasutaka Fujimoto (2022) (by appointment)
Technical Committee Cluster Delegates
Cluster 1 (Energy): Sertac Bayhan (2022-2023)
Cluster 2 (Sensors and Control): Michael Ruderman (2022-2023)
Cluster 3 (Info and Comm Tech): Wenbin Dai (2022-2023)
Cluster 4 (Cross-disciplinary): Larisa Dunai (2022-2023)
Technical Committee (TC) Chairs (non-voting AdCom members)
TC 1 - Building Automation, Control, and Management: Kim Tsang (2022-2023)
TC 3 - Control, Robotics & Mechatronics: Gabor Sziebig (2022-2023)
TC 5 - Education in Engineering & Industrial Technologies: Kazuhiro Umetani (2022-2023)
TC 7 - Electronic Systems on Chip: Alin Tisan (2022-2023)
TC 8 - Energy Storage: Bharat Balagopal (2022-2023)
TC 9 - Factory Automation: Moris Behnam (2022-2023)
TC 10 - Human Factors: Daisuke Chugo (2022-2023)
TC 11 - Industrial Agents: Paulo Leitao (2022-2023)
TC 13 - Industrial Informatics: Wenbin Dai (2022-2023)
TC 15 - Motion Control: Kenta Seki (2022-2023)
TC 16 - Network-based Control Systems and Applications: Lei Ding (2022-2023)
TC 19 - Resilience and Security for Industrial Applications: Chengbin Ma (2022-2023)
TC 20 – Sensors and Actuators: Emre Sariyildiz (2022-2023)
TC 22 – Standards: Allen Chen (2022-2023)
TC 23 - Transportation Electrification: Yigeng Huangfu (2022-2023)
On behalf of IES, I would like to congratulate the above appointees on their successes. We look forward to their contributions to IES.
Professor Xinghuo Yu
Chair, 2021 IES Nominations and Appointments Committee
Junior Past President, IEEE Industrial Electronics Society
Call for projects to enhance IES operations
During the second administrative meeting, October 22, 2021, IES AdCom approved the allocation of $200k for projects that would enhance IES activities through 2022. This is a call for proposals to AdCom members from the Finance Committee, with a deadline for EOI to the Finance Committee of March 1, 2022.
The Expressions of Interest template can be downloaded here (pdf or word). Please use the subject line "2022 EoI to enhance IES" when submitting EoI to Treasurer Prof. Milos Manic at firstname.lastname@example.org, by March 1, 2022. Early submissions are welcomed!
COVID 19: IEEE guidelines
IEEE guidelines and support for conference organizers
- COVID 19 Guidelines and Virtual Options
- Remote Conferencing and Screencasting
- Virtual Events: Virtual Events Center of Excellence
- IEEE MCE Guidelines on Coronavirus to Conference Organizers
- AdCom 1: June 4-5, 2022 (Sat, Sun) - hybrid, Alaska (TBC)
- AdCom 2: Oct. 22-23, 2022 (Sat, Sun) - hybrid, Brussels (TBC)
History of the welcome page here