The Industrial Electronics Society through its members encompasses a diverse range of technical activities devoted to the application of electronics and electrical sciences for the enhancement of industrial and manufacturing processes. These technical activities address the latest developments in intelligent and computer control systems, robotics, factory communications and automation, flexible manufacturing, data acquisition and signal processing, vision systems, and power electronics. The Society continually updates its program of technical activities to meet the needs of modern industry.
Field of Interest
IES Constitution, Article I, Section 4. The Field of Interest of the IES shall be confined to the theory and applications of electronics, controls, communications, instrumentation, and computational intelligence to industrial and manufacturing systems and processes.
IES Constitution, Article I, Section 5. The Field of Interest of the IES may be enlarged, reduced, or shifted moderately as the need of the occasion indicate with the provision that such revisions shall be processed as an amendment to this Constitution and shall be following the procedures defined in the TAB Operations Manual.
June AdCom Meeting Arrangements
During this difficult time with COVID-19, I hope you and your families are safe and healthy. COVID-19 has brought many changes in our lives at work and home, and like most of you, I am working from home these days. With all of these changes, I wanted to bring you a short update on our plans for the June AdCom meeting. Due to travel restrictions from COVID-19, IES will conduct it’s June AdCom meeting online. Here are a few of the specifics at this time.
- May 7 through June 7 – Committee meetings scheduled and conducted online by committee chairs.
- Technical Activities (@ 6:30am-8:30am PDT ; 9:30am-11:30am EDT; 3:30pm-5:30pm CEST; 11:30pm-1:30am AEST)
- Constitution&Bylaws (May 29th ; @7.00am-9.00am PDT; 10.00am-12.00pm EDT; 4.00-6.00 PM CEST; 12.00am-2:00am AEST (next day))
- Publications (June 3th ; @ 5.30am-7.30am PDT; 8.30am-10.30am EDT; 2.30pm-5.30pm CEST; 10.30pm-12.30am AEST)
- Planing&Development (May 27th ; @ 5:00am-7:00am PDT; 8:00am-10:00am EDT; 2:00pm-4:00pm CEST; 10pm-12:00am AEST)
- Conference&Workshops (June 5th ; @ 6.00am – 8.30am PDT; 9.00am –11.30am EDT; 3.00pm – 5.30pm CEST; 11.00pm – 1.30am AEST)
- Membership&Chapters (June 4th ; @ 5.00am-6.30am PDT; 8.00am-9.30am EDT; 2.00pm-3.30pm CEST; 10.00pm-11.30pm AEST)
- Finance (May 28th ; @ 10:00am- 12:00pm PDT; 1:00pm-3:00pm EDT; 7:00pm-9:00pm CEST; 3:00am-5:00am AEST (next day))
- June 14 – Agenda and reports (PowerPoint with audio commentary) posted on IES Website in the AdCom area.
- June 20 & 21 – AdCom meeting conducted online
2 hours each day with the following start time.
- 5:00 am PDT (San Francisco)
- 8:00 am EDT (New York)
- 2:00 pm CEST (Europe)
- 10:00 pm (Australia)
Video and web conferencing software: We will use during AdCom and committee meetings ZOOM conferencing service https://zoom.us/
Participation in committee meetings: All committee members be invited by appropriate committee chairs. A non-member can also request a chair to be invited as active participants but please remember that due to some technical limitations, the number of non-members is limited (request have to be sent to chair no later than 2 days prior meeting). You can ask a chair instead of that to share on-line streaming if your active participation is not necessary.
Coming AdCom meeting: More details and updates about AdCom be send at the beginning of June after the last IES committee meeting. WIC will prepare special instruction for the AdCom members entitled “Joining IES meeting via Zoom.” We will run a special information/test session a few days before the AdCom.
Call for Nominations for co-Editor-in-Chief of TIE (two open positions)
Deadline 30 May 2020
Nominations should be sent to IES Vice-President for Publications, Thilo Sauter at email@example.com
Self-nomination is permitted.
COVID 19: IEEE guidelines
IEEE guidelines and support for conference organizers
Schedule Amendments for IES Sponsored Conferences
In response to the international developments caused by CoVid-19 our society decided to relocate or postpone several events. Please see http://www.ieee-ies.org/conferences for more details.
INDIN 2020 has been relocated from Guangzhou, China, to Warwick, UK. The conference dates will change from July 11-13 to July 19-22.
CPE-POWERENG 2020 is postponed from April 1-3 to July 8-10 without the venue change.
The conference organizers for IESES 2020 (Cagliari, Italy ) and WFCS (Porto, Portugal)are closely monitoring the situation in their respective locations. Virtual events are being considered as well for some conferences.
Our thoughts are with all members and their families around thew world that are sick or shut-in.
On Behalf of IES ExCom
Terry Martin, IES President 2020-21
Elections of Officers and AdCom
Nominations for AdCom Member-At-Large elected by IES membership and by elected by AdCom, and Officers are due 30 May and 30 June 2020, respectively. Please select the Elections menu tab to access the nomination forms.
AdCom Meetings in 2020
- Officers meeting: February 14-15, 2020, in conjunction with IEEE TAB meetings, Orlando, Florida
- AdCom 1: June 20, 2020, in conjunction with ISIE 2020, Delft, The Netherlands (pre-meetings June 19)
- AdCom 2: October 22, 2020, in conjunction with IECON 2020, Singapore (pre-meetings October 21)